Daily Report

MAGA-fascism and anti-Semitic pseudo-anti-anti-Semitism

In Episode 272 of the CounterVortex podcast, Bill Weinberg discusses the Israel-hosted "International Conference on Combatting anti-Semitism" that featured speakers from the European and American neo-fascist (and even anti-Semitic!) far right. The established phenomenon of paradoxical fascist pseudo-anti-fascism hasf now been joined by anti-Semitic pseudo-anti-anti-Semitism. While Trump's 2019 executive order on anti-Semitism sought to conflate anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, the new posture would actually substitute the prior for the latter entirely as the ideology to be opposed. Anti-Semitism is now acceptable as long as it is pro-Israel, loaning credence to Theodore Herzl's 1895 prediction: "The anti-Semites will become our most dependable friends, the anti-Semitic countries our allies."

Internationalization of South Sudan conflict seen

Amnesty International expressed concern April 1 about the lack of political will in South Sudan to address ongoing violations of international human rights law amid escalating violence from both internal and cross-border actors. Reports indicate mounting attacks on civilians, political repression, and the increasing risk of a wider war.

Israel anti-Semitism confab embraces fascism —yes, really

Speaking at an International Conference on Combating Antisemitism held in Jerusalem last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned against "the fires of anti-Semitism" in Europe and blamed stateside campus protests against Israel's bombardment of Gaza on "a systemic alliance between the ultra-progressive left and radical Islam."

Burma: junta continues air-strikes after earthquake

Burma's military junta has continued to bomb rebel-held areas following the major earthquake in the country on March 28, which has killed more than 1,600 people. The UN official for human rights in the country described the attacks as "completely outrageous and unacceptable." Special Rapporteur Tom Andrews told the BBC that it was "nothing short of incredible" that the military is continuing to "drop bombs when you are trying to rescue people" after the quake. "I'm calling upon the junta to just stop, stop any of its military operations," he added. Strikes have been reported since the disaster in Shan state and in Sagaing region—the epicenter of the quake. (BBC News)

Lebanon ceasefire —real or fiction?

The ceasefire between Israel and the Lebanese political and militant group Hezbollah is on shaky ground following an Israeli air-strike on Beirut's southern suburbs March 28. It was the first strike on Lebanon's capital since a pause in hostilities came into effect on Nov. 27 last year. Israel—which has bombed southern Lebanon almost daily despite the ceasefire—said it was retaliating for a rocket attack into northern Israel. (TNH)

Podcast: Down with Bibi, down with Hamas!

In Episode 271 of the CounterVortex podcast, Bill Weinberg takes heart in the simultaneous protests in Israel and Gaza—against Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas, respectively, and both calling for a halt to the bombardment. Despite the obvious forces pitting these protesters against each other, the potential for conscious unity between them represents a real glimmer of hope. Listen on SoundCloud or via Patreon.

Signal breach exposes flippant attitude to civilian deaths

Nearly 60 people, including children, have been killed as the United States expands its two-week bombing campaign in Yemen to include (according to a review by the Associated Press) "firing at ranking personnel as well as dropping bombs in cities." This comes as recently exposed Signal messages between senior US officials discussing the air-strikes demonstrated a flippant attitude towards the lives of Yemeni civilians. In one disturbing exchange concerning an apparent strike on a civilian apartment building, National Security Advisor Mike Waltz writes: "The first target—their top missile guy—we had positive ID of him walking into his girlfriend's building and it's now collapsed." "Excellent," comes the reply from Vice President JD Vance. The messages, which were brought to light after a journalist from The Atlantic was mistakenly added to the officials' group chat in a staggering breach of normal security protocols, show a callous indifference to the ethical implications of bombing civilian areas. This is perhaps unsurprising for a country that provided many of the planes and trained many of the pilots involved in the Saudi-led bombing campaign that killed over 9,000 Yemenis between 2015 and 2022.

Trump-induced migration crisis in Mexico

President Donald Trump's migration crackdown has been credited with reducing flows northward towards the United States, but it is leaving hundreds of thousands of migrants and asylum seekers trapped in limbo further south, unsure whether to take riskier journeys to try to reach the US and anxiously wrestling with what to do next.

Syndicate content