Afghanistan Theater
Afghanistan: clash of fundamentalisms in round two of Koran wars
After backing off at last year's 9-11 anniversary, the wacky extremoid Christian fundi Terry Jones of Gainesville, Florida, apparently followed through on his threat to burn a Koran on March 20. This prompted wacky extremoid Muslim fundis in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, to storm a UN compound, killing as many as 20 employees and setting fire to several buildings today. (CSM, April 1) We really wish this was an April Fool's joke, but we don't think so.
US soldier pleads guilty to murdering Afghan civilians
Specialist Jeremy Morlock pleaded guilty March 23 to three counts of murder as part of a plot contrived with fellow soldiers to kill Afghan civilians. At the court-martial, held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., Morlock also pleaded guilty to one count each of assault, conspiracy, obstructing justice and illegal drug use in exchange for a maximum sentence of 24 years in prison. According to the plea-agreement, Morlock agreed to testify against his co-defendants. Four other soldiers in Morlock's unit, the 5th Stryker Brigade, are also charged with the deaths of the three Afghan men, which occurred in the Kandahar province in January, February and May of last year. Morlock told the military judge, Lt.-Col. Kwasi Hawks, that he and his fellow soldiers began plotting the murders of unarmed Afghans in 2009 and killed the three civilians knowing they were unarmed and posed no legitimate threat. Morlock testified that Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, who is also charged, took the lead in developing the plot. Gibbs maintains that the deaths were a result of combat. In January, the Washington Post first reported that Morlock accepted the plea agreement offered by US Army prosecutors. Morlock, charged in June, is the first of the five soldiers to be court-martialed.
Protests across Pakistan as US drones kill 40
Thousands marched in angry protests in cities across Pakistan March 18 after a US drone attack one day earlier killed 41 people in North Waziristan. The government also condemned the attack, with army chief Ashwaq Perwez Kayani saying the strikes had "carelessly and callously targeted" a tribal jirga. Pakistan also pulled out of upcoming talks with the US on the war in Afghanistan. Six missiles were apparently fired at a house in Dattakhel village, some 40 kilometers west of Miramshah. Tribal leaders in North Waziristan issued a statement vowing revenge against the US: "We are a people who wait 100 years to exact revenge. We never forgive our enemy."
Pakistan: Taliban expand suicide attacks
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing that killed at least 34 people in the country's northwest March 9. The bomber detonated his explosives at a funeral procession for the wife of an anti-Taliban militiamen near Peshawar. Militia leaders charged the government with betrayal."We are ending all co-operation with the government. We will not forgive the Taliban for the death of our people, but we will avenge these deaths in our own way now," Dilawar Khan, leader of the Qaumi Amn Lashkar militia told the BBC. "We've fought against the Taliban. We've done what the government had to do but in exchange the government we didn't even receive security for a funeral." (AKI, RFE/RL, March 9) On March 8, militants targeted a gas station in Faisalabad, Punjab province, with a car bomb that killed some 25 people. The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility. (RFE/RL, March 9)
Afghanistan: Taliban open suicide offensive, talk to US?
At least 24 people were wounded when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives in a busy market in Spin Boldak, a town in Afghanistan's southern province of Kandahar, Feb. 24. The attack is the latest in a string of suicide blasts to hit Afghanistan. More than 100 people have died in such attacks in the last three weeks. (RFE/RL, Feb. 24) The offensive comes as Steve Coll in the New Yorker of Feb. 28 asserts that the US has entered into exploratory talks with the Taliban. But the Taliban has reportedly set NATO withdrawal as a prerequisite for negotiations, and the US demands a breaking of ties with al-Qaeda. (The News, Pakistan, Feb. 23)
Paranoia in Pakistan over gunman's CIA ties
The opposition in Pakistan is expressing outrage over revelations that a US citizen held by the authorities in connection with a shooting incident last month is a security contractor for the CIA. Raymond Davis was taken into custody following the shooting deaths Jan. 27 of two Pakistanis in Lahore. Davis claimed he acted in self-defense during an armed robbery attempt. The US government said Davis was an embassy employee, and should be immediately released on the grounds of diplomatic immunity. Now Washington officials have confirmed reports in the New York Times that Davis was part of a CIA operation tracking the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group. He is also said to have worked for security firm Xe/Blackwater.
Baluchistan blasts target pipeline, NATO
Militants in Pakistan's Baluchistan province attacked a NATO supply truck transporting fuel to US-led forces in Afghanistan, setting it on fire Feb. 11. One day earlier, presumed Baluch militants blew up the gas pipeline that runs through the province for a second time this week, again leaving tens of thousands of consumers without gas. (Press TV, Feb. 11; AFP, Feb. 10)
Pakistan: thousands flee new offensive
A new anti-Taliban offensive by the Pakistani military in the tribal region of Mohmand bordering Afghanistan has forced some 25,000 residents to flee, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The military claims that its troops have so far killed more than 70 Taliban militants in what it described as a "search and clearance operation." (RTTNews, AlJazeera, Feb. 4)

Recent Updates
1 min 2 sec ago
7 min 2 sec ago
13 min 2 sec ago
15 hours 8 min ago
1 day 13 hours ago
1 day 15 hours ago
1 day 19 hours ago
1 day 20 hours ago
2 days 12 hours ago
2 days 13 hours ago