Iraq: mass graves disturbed, HRW says
Mass graves in Iraq are being disturbed, which could lead to destroyed evidence in proving possible genocide committed against the Yazidis, according to a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report released on Jan. 30. Dozens of Yazidi people are believed to have been killed by the Islamic State, actions many believe may amount to genocide. Yazda, a support group for the Yazidi people, also contributed to the report. Yazda has said that on numerous visits to Mount Sinjar (liberated from ISIS by Kurdish forces last year), they have observed mass graves that were completely unprotected and say that people regularly take items from these sites. In one instance, a bulldozer was used at one site to cover the grave with earth. HRW is urging authorities in Iraq to have forensic experts analyze the graves for evidence of any possible crimes and to preserve any evidence found.
From Jurist, Jan. 30. Used with permission.
Recent Updates
31 min 58 sec ago
51 min 4 sec ago
16 hours 44 min ago
17 hours 54 min ago
3 days 20 hours ago
3 days 23 hours ago
4 days 36 min ago
4 days 17 hours ago
4 days 19 hours ago
4 days 19 hours ago